I've decided to do my own trans rebuild. Got the videos & watched them. Seems straight forward when you've got somebody holding your hand through the process. BUT, when I get to the part after removing the bell housing bolts, where the pump should "just slide out" I'm dead in the water. It's a 67 C4 and the bell housing bolts also hold the pump. It appears as if the pump is welded (figuratively, not literally) to the transmission housing. I've tried to pry behind the sun gear, tried to hook the pump seal groove from the rear, heated the housing, etc, etc, etc. How am I supposed to get this @#$!er out? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
IAW the FSM for my 66, pg 7-35,you "pry behind the input shell and pry it forward until the front pump seal is above the edge of the case". my copy's photo is not good enough to exact the detail or I'd post the picture for you.jlg
I appreciate the input. But.......that was tried without any success. The only thing I accomplished was marring the planetary. For anyone else who has this issue I found the solution on another forum. Although it caused a great deal of angst while doing it I was actually able to get the pump out. On the side opposite the cooling lines, on the ridge that surrounds the pump I took a cutoff wheel and actually removed a portion of the outer ring that surrounds the diameter of the pump. Do this carefully and slowly and you will get to a point where your cut will reveal a small dimple or hole at the back of the pump. This is actually the bevel of the pump where it meets the main trans body. Make an identical cut approx 1/2" away. Remove the piece that is now remaining between the two cuts. You can now get a pry/lever between the pump and the trans housing. I was only able to remove the pump after this process. The sealing/contact surface (vertical) is left in tact and the gasket still seals. A poster on the other forum relates that he has done this to his race transmission and not a drop of fluid leaks. We'll see. This was my last/only option and after having pried the pump out I'm confident that it wasn't coming out any other way. The fiber gasket had to be removed with an abrasive (Scotch Brite) attachment on my grinder.Hope this helps someone.
Just an update: NO LEAKS. The process worked and I've had no problems with removing the portion of the casting.
Still no leaks. Although it was a "last ditch" effort it appears to have worked out. Not regretting the decision to do it!